Are you in favor of a mid level dental provider?

Friday, April 18, 2008

Injection Savvy

The Idaho Dental Practice Act allows hygienists to deliver local anesthesia under general supervision. We are very fortunate to be one of the first states to have this type of supervision.

In my office, one of our most recent new patients has moved to Idaho from the Midwest. As I sat down to anesthetize No. 8 for a new veneer prep, she look concerned that I would be giving her the injection. She had never had anyone but the dentist administer the injection and she was not real excited to find that a hygienist would be doing the honors. I introduced myself and assured her that I was licensed, experienced and very good at giving injections. I will never brag about my cooking, but when it comes to comfortable injections, I can hold my own.

There are a few techniques that should be followed when administering anesthesia. I always heat the syringe and carpule under warm water. This makes a considerable difference and the patient appreciates the warmth against his or her cheek. Another hint is leaving the topical on the site at least one to two minutes. The most painful injection site is undoubtedly the palatal tissue. After the facial tissue is profound, I inject the palatal tissue from the facial side through the papilla until I see blanching with my mirror on the lingual. After that point, it is easy and painless to walk the needle around the lingual tissue depositing a little anesthetic as you advance.

Patients are so relieved when I say I am done and they didn’t feel the injection. I received a high-five from an eight-year-old after anesthetizing him for ortho extractions. I have spent many hours in the dental chair and get nervous every time. It is definitely better to give than receive when it comes to dentistry.

Take your time with anesthesia. You could be on the receiving end next time.

Welcome to my life,
Lisa

No comments: