Are you in favor of a mid level dental provider?

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Natural or Neglect?

Just when I thought I’d heard every excuse for not completing dental treatment, I found myself utterly shocked with a new one.

Last week, one of my patients was diagnosed with an abcess on No.19. She had experienced discomfort with this tooth on and off for the past two years. We had advised her that the nerve was probably in the process of dying and she would need a root canal in the future. She very calmly said she wanted the tooth extracted. She had been told by another dentist that root canals on first molars have been shown to cause breast cancer. I was absolutely stunned!

Apparently, she had been to a “natural dentist” for a second opinion and is convinced that she has to have the tooth extracted. Leaving this ‘dead tooth’ in her body would poison her. Her 3-year-old son was in the other operatory having his first exam, cleaning and radiographs. He was diagnosed with 13 cavities.

We discussed fluoride supplements with the parents. The dad has tried to convince his wife to allow the child to take fluoride tablets but she refuses. The “natural dentist” has also convinced her that fluoride is poison. What a dilemma. I feel badly that the parents are not in agreement when it comes to their child’s dental health. I did the best I could to educate them on the benefits of fluoride.

When does this constitute abuse or neglect? I’d love to hear your thoughts! E-mail them to mh@advanstar.com.

Welcome to my life.
Lisa

No comments: