Are you in favor of a mid level dental provider?

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Restless Leg Syndrome?

This entry might make you wonder about my sanity.

I sleep with a bar of soap in my bed.

I know this seems weird, so let me explain the ‘scientific’ reasoning behind my new obsession…

I listen to the same local radio station every morning. Wayne and Eliza are two of the best radio personalities in southeast Idaho. Listeners will call in to comment on whatever the topic of the day happens to be. Their morning show is very interactive and educational.

Two months ago, home remedies were discussed. Restless Leg Syndrome, RLS, is a common ailment in adults, and Requip is a newer prescription drug used to treat this disorder. As with most medications, there are side effects to be aware of—morning drowsiness is apparently a common complaint. A listener called in with a remedy to ‘cure’ RLS. She shared that putting an unwrapped bar of soap between the fitted sheet and the mattress pad of your bed will eliminate RLS. As you can imagine, I thought she was crazy.

Much to my surprise, a local neurologist called in and agreed that this ‘cure’ has been known to work, but he didn’t know why. I personally have struggled with RLS for many years and have discussed treatments with my pharmacist and physician. I take an iron supplement and my energy has increased considerably, but the RLS didn’t change much. I thought, “Heck, what do I have to loose?” I placed an unwrapped bar of Suave soap in my bed and went to work.

All day, I thought about the soap. I was really excited to get home in anticipation of a good night’s sleep. I didn’t tell my husband about the soap. He isn’t one to buy into ‘miracle cures’. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true. (And I didn’t want to hear the backlash if it didn’t work.)

I slept better that night than I have in years. I don’t know why it works, but it does. It makes no sense whatsoever. I absolutely believe in the power of the soap.

Since then, I have suggested this remedy to patients, co-workers, friends and family. Everyone that I have recommended this to has been pleasantly surprised with the results. A local assisted living center now has many residents with soap in their beds and under the couch cushions! I finally told my husband what I had done. He thinks I have totally lost it, but admitted that I sleep more sound and my leg twitches have ceased. From now on, when I travel, I will be bringing a bar of soap with me. My suitcase will smell nice and I will sleep well.

If this works for anyone else, please let me know.

Welcome to my life,
Lisa Higbee

No comments: