Are you in favor of a mid level dental provider?

Friday, June 6, 2008

Language Barrier

I wish I could speak a foreign language. I would choose Spanish in most cases, but today, however, Russian would have come in handy.

Eleven-year-old Olishia recently moved to Pocatello from Russia with her mother. Neither spoke much English. Normally, I am never at a loss for words. Today was certainly an exception. Olishia had never had her teeth scaled or used a suction. In Russia, she had only had her teeth polished. It was challenging to explain each step but I really enjoyed having her for a patient. She was a delightful girl and she giggled each time she used the suction. Her teeth were beautifully straight and she didn’t have a lot of decay. I hope she understood what I explained to her and enjoyed her visit as much as I did. Luckily, we have really great pamphlets that explain caries, sealants and proper oral hygiene.

Welcome to my life and the great USA.
Lisa

No comments: