Are you in favor of a mid level dental provider?

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Treating the teacher

Remember how nervous we were in dental hygiene school about the ideal of actually starting patients? I had the hardest time going from typodont to a “real” patient. Cheeks and lips are a fact of life, so we had to learn work around them. We were taught to have an internal fulcrum and I never thought I would deviate from that standard.

Fast-forward 23 years: I find myself using the chin to fulcrum with great ease. I didn’t give this too much thought until last week. One of my favorite senior clinical instructors from hygiene school was scheduled in my room for a prophy. I was a little nervous but did my best to remember each and every thing she taught me about patient position, posture and yes…even the fulcrum.

I think the world of this particular instructor. She didn’t critique my skills or mannerisms—she didn’t have to. I was taught by one of the best. Mrs. K, you’re a real gem and I am proud to have been one of your students. Thank you for making a difference. Enjoy your retirement.

Welcome to my life.
Lisa

No comments: