Are you in favor of a mid level dental provider?

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Treating overdue patients

We’ve had quite a few new patients this past month. Many have stated that they are getting their taxes back and now have the finances to go to the dentist. Needless to say, many of these people are overdue for treatment.

There are different philosophies regarding the best treatment for a patient with moderate to heavy calculus who is way overdue for their preventive prophylaxis. I rarely try to accomplish the entire prophy in one appointment. Personally, I prefer to do a gross debridement if the patient isn’t too sensitive and the calculus isn’t too tenacious. I then reappoint for an additional scaling and possible root planing. Other times, gross debridement is not an option, and quadrant root planning is performed.

We have a wonderful typodont from Kilgore where one half of the mouth is healthy the other half is perio involved. The gingiva is removable to show the bone level to the patient. This is a great visual aid and it has really motivated my patients. I can easily explain pockets, calculus and furcations. I like to show my patients the difference in a healthy mouth verses a diseased mouth.

Each patient presents with different needs. Therefore, each patient will have a different treatment plan. Don’t get into the rut of treating everyone the same way. Patients trust you with a very intimate, sensitive part of their body. Do the right thing.

Welcome to my life.
Lisa

No comments: