Are you in favor of a mid level dental provider?

Friday, February 15, 2008

My son? Cavities? No way!

Pocatello is an area that does not have fluoride in the water system, so most parents don’t seem too surprised when their kids have decay. When my son had two cavities diagnosed at age seven, I was mortified. I felt like a plumber with a leaky sink.

How could this have happened? I limit his sweets and personally floss his teeth every night. I have even gone to the extent of brushing his teeth while he is sleeping. I never thought to look for contraband candy!

While rearranging his room, we found lemon head boxes stashed behind the heavy headboard. As I learned, keeping sugar exposures from our children’s teeth isn’t as easy as telling them no. Even the best of hygienists/mothers can be outsmarted. I have learned to accept the things I cannot control or change.

Fluoride has been proven to prevent decay. If we consistently recommend fluoride to our patients, we can feel confident we are doing the very best for them. Patients may not heed our advice every time, but we have an obligation to give it to them.

Welcome to my life,
Lisa

No comments: