Are you in favor of a mid level dental provider?

Friday, January 25, 2008

Reading Prescription Labels

Dear Friends,

It is a cold, blustery day in Pocatello. I actually slept in until 9:30 am. After such a hectic week with my daughter’s health, I must have needed the rest. With my Kona blend coffee at my side, I sat down to organize my thoughts and read my e-mail messages.
Shelby’s upper GI scope did reveal some answers for us: She has significant erosion of her stomach lining. In the past eight months, she’s had to endure a softball to the face, female surgery and a knee injury, and as an athlete, Motrin had become a good friend to her muscles. I was aware that non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDS) can be hard on the stomach, but I guess I didn’t take it to heart. Many times I have patients that are taking numerous prescription medications. Unfortunately, they don’t always know what they are and what side affects they may have. As a licensed health care professional, it is our obligation to review the health history of every patient. Not all NSAIDS are prescription medications—Ibuprofen, Aleve and aspirin are a few that can be problematic. Read the labels and dosage instructions. I will certainly be more aware of what I, my daughter, and my patients use for pain control.

Welcome to my life,
Lisa

No comments: